Thursday, June 30, 2022

The Well of Ascension (Mistborn #2) by Brandon Sanderson

     I feel like I didn't love this one as much as I've enjoyed other Sanderson books. I sense a pattern. Lots of exposition in the beginning about the world, lots of boring politics in the middle, and then a big battle for a climax that explains some more, while leaving other questions unanswered. I think the Mistborn books just aren't as good as The Stormlight Archives, which I think have better fleshed-out characters. In all of his books, the politics and machinations of the actual plot feel lacking and simplistic a lot of the time. What's really good and makes me keep coming back is the magic and the worldbuilding, but unfortunately it feels like in some books we only get that in the beginning and end. Maybe what this trilogy is lacking that Stormlight has is the interludes in the middle of the book that just spice things up a little.

No comments:

Post a Comment