Wednesday, January 12, 2022

Reflection on Dawnshard by Brandon Sanderson

     Dawnshard is a Stormlight Archive novella that advances elements of the Adonalsium plot by bringing us the concept of the Dawnshard. I would say that this was the least interesting of the Stormlight Archive books, but that's not saying much because they're all great. This one just could have been better in its explanations of the Dawnshard concept and it could have had a more interesting sailing journey. I would compare it to C.S. Lewis' Voyage of the Dawntreader, a book with a similar length that is also about a journey at sea, which is, in my opinion, much better.

    On the other hand, we the book brought out a lot of new information about Rysn and explored the Aimians, who are a super interesting race of "hordelings," these small alien crab things that can form up to imitate a person. That was good world-building. I guess I would say I really just don't like Lopen as a character, and not much happened in the books, which were two big weaknesses for me. I would also say that this felt like a YA novel, which was obviously not intending me as the audience if that's the case.

No comments:

Post a Comment