Friday, September 27, 2019

Reflection on Debt: The First 5,000 Years by David Graeber


               Debt, a book with a great title, is an anthropological look at debt, covering the economics necessary, but going more profoundly into human conceptions of debt and its symbolic meaning. I thought the book was intriguing for that perspective, but I didn’t like how big the scope of the book was. I feel like books that cover all of human history often try to hard and there are not many authors who can reasonably cover all of that. The author had some controversial points in the book, like saying that human society did not begin with barter, but that debt came first, then money, then barter. I’m not really gonna say any more on it. This is gonna be a short blog since I didn’t really love the book.  

No comments:

Post a Comment