Sunday, August 18, 2019

Reflection on Salt Fat Acid Heat: Mastering the Elements of Good Cooking by Samin Nosrat


               This is a cool cookbook that is written to teach you about the holistic approach to cooking, using what Nosrat calls the “cardinal directions” of the culinary art: salt, fat, acid, and heat. I learned about why it’s good to salt meat before you cook it, allowing salty flavor to penetrate deep into he tissues. I learned how to tell apart good and bad olive oil and that classic puff pastry has 730 layers of dough and 729 layers of butter. I also learned that oranges are less acidic when closer to the equator. I also learned that oranges that are higher on the tree and further outside on the branches are sweeter than those that are lower on the tree and closer to the trunk. This book inspired me to do some cooking.

No comments:

Post a Comment