Tuesday, January 29, 2019

Reflection on The Story of the Jews: Finding the Words, 1000 BCE-1492 CE


               All of my notes and highlighted parts of this book got deleted somehow and that’s really disappointing because I use those as my guide to make these posts and to help me remember the most interesting parts of the book. I’m just realizing now how important this post-book reflection is for me now that I can’t really do it. There were a ton of interesting things in this book and I guess now I just need to read some more on the same subject. This really sucks though because this is one of my favorite books I've read in a long time.
               I’ll just write that my favorite parts of the book were the era before the destruction of the Second Temple, which I want to learn more about, the discussion of the creation of difference between Judaism and Christianity in the fourth century, and the final chapter about the last hundred years of Judaism in Spain. The book has a really good narrative and feels like a novel a lot of the time. The best and most interesting characters in my opinion were Nehemiah, Shmuel ibn Naghera (if I’m spelling that right), and Maimonides. It was a really great book and I wish I could’ve written more about it. There is a volume two about more recent years that I want to check out soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment